On 29th October 2015, there was a rocket attack on the ironically-named Camp Liberty, near Baghdad airport. 24 unarmed residents of the camp were killed. The U.S. Administration said it condemned the attack.
U.S. condemnation means they issued a statement, but the U.S. has done nothing more.
The residents of Camp Liberty need minimum necessities for daily life since their camp was destroyed by the deadly missile attack, but for the 8 consecutive days since, Iraqi forces have prevented the entry of food, fuel, and medicine into the camp. They have also prevented the discharge of the camp’s sewage. In this way, they continue to pressure the residents.
It is a shame for the US and UN to do nothing to stop this inhumane siege against refugees in the camp.
Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen urged John Kerry to act on Camp Liberty, but Mr. Kerry appears to have done nothing.
All of Camp Liberty’s infrastructure and vital systems work with electricity and the camp’s electricity is solely provided by its own electric generators, obstructing entry of fuel affects all camp affairs, including its heating and cooling systems, cooking, and almost everything else.
The U.S. and United Nations are doing nothing to stop these antihuman measures following the missile barrage. The measures are carried out under supervision of Faleh Fayyad, Iraq’s national security advisor and head of the Governmental Committee tasked to suppress Camp Liberty residents. This is part of the scheme dictated by the religious fascism ruling Iran.
The National Council of Resistance of Iran said in a statement today, “Details of the intensified siege of Camp Liberty which is a grave breach of the Memorandum of Understanding signed between Government of Iraq and the United Nations on 25 December 2015 have been reported to UNAMI, UNHCR and the U.S. Embassy, but regrettably no effective measures have been taken so far to solve the problem.”
The Sumaria News Website announced that the leader of the ‘Mukhtar Army’ Wathiq al-Battat declared: “I did not hit Camp Liberty and did not take responsibility for this attack … But I am entrapped in a great conspiracy.”
On Friday, October 30, Iran’s Fars News Agency, affiliated with the Iranian regime’s revolutionary guards, fabricated an interview with Wathiq al-Battat. In that interview, it was said that the Army of Mukhtar took responsibility for rocket attack on Camp Liberty. An hour later, Fars News Agency posted this fabricated news. It was also posted in the Fars Arabic language Website.
Reports received from inside the Iranian regime say that Battat’s interview was published by order of Iran’s terrorist Qods Force as a way to mislead and to allow the real perpetrators of the crime to escape.
The Iranian regime and its terrorist Qods Force have used fabricated and front groups such as Mukhtar Army in the past to cover up their terrorist and criminal operations.
U.S. Republican Senator John Boozman said “The recent terror attack on Camp Liberty in Iraq is the latest in a long line of failures to protect the camp’s residents. The U.S., along with the United Nations and the Government of Iraq, committed to protecting the camp’s residents. We must stand with them against these senseless and unprovoked attacks. The State Department has rightfully condemned this attack, but must do more to ensure that residents in Camp Liberty are protected and that the perpetrators are held accountable for this heinous attack.”