The Home department of Assam state government on Thursday issued a high alert notice in the state for a probable attack by the anti-talk faction group of the United Liberation Front of Asom (ULFA).
The Home department sounded the state-wide high alert after three grenade explosions in Lakhimpur and Karbi Anglong district over the past 36 hours. Two people were killed and nine others were injured.
The attack and the raising of the alert caused Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi to cancel his South Africa tour on Wednesday night.
“We have alerted all district police headquarters in the state for probable attack by ULFA,” Assam police IGP SN Singh said.
The Intelligence Bureau said one of the outfit’s groups, consisting of 35 highly trained members had entered the state in recently.
“The IB informed that, ULFA c-in-c Paresh Barua had already instructed to its highly trained cadres to make explosions in five districts of upper Assam, two districts in north Assam and Kamrup district including Guwahati city,” the Assam police IGP said.
Kamrup district administration took action under section 144 of IPC in the district from Thursday, after the Home department sounded the high alert across the state.
ULFA militants also exploded two grenades at North Lakhimpur town on July 23, where five people were injured.
In addition, two people were killed and four others were injured in an explosion at a daily market near Bakuliaghat in Karbi Anglong district on July 24 evening, which was triggered by suspected ULFA militants.
On Thursday, top officials of Assam police visited the blast site at Bakuliaghat and held discussions with the top police officials in Karbi Anglong about the situation.