Every year, termites cause over $5 billion of property damage.
These tiny, silent pests can wreak havoc your home and leave a huge dent in your bank account, especially since most termite damage isn’t covered by homeowners insurance.
The sooner you recognize that termites are present in your home, the sooner you can take action and minimize the damage they cause.
Listed below are some common signs of termites, along with tips on how you can get rid of termites for good.
Signs of Termites
In order to figure out if you have termites, you need to know what to be on the lookout for. If you’re dealing with a termite infestation in your home, here are some issues might notice:
- Damage to the floors (blistering, sagging, a spongy feeling when you step on the boards, etc.)
- Unexplained cracks on the walls
- Unexplained cracks on the ceiling and cornices
- Damage to the foundation
- Windows and doors that are difficult to open (termites can eat the wood and cause the frames to change shape)
- Damage to decking or wooden fence posts
- Damage to trees near your home
- Broken or cracked roof tiles
- The presence of “frass,” or termite droppings
As soon as you notice any of these issues, it’s important to take steps to determine whether or not termites are the cause. The sooner you act, the less of an effect the termites will have on your budget.
How to Get Rid of Termites
How do you actually get rid of termites? There are lots of different techniques you can use to clear your home of these pests, including the following:
- Place nematodes (worms that eat termites) in your garden and around your home
- Use termite-repelling or termite-killing garden stakes
- Apply orange oil to areas where you know termites are lurking
- Use indoor and outdoor pesticides (just make sure they’re safe to use around kids and pets)
- Target specific areas with cedar oil, which kills termites and repels other pests
- Hire a professional exterminator, such as this service, to completely clear the termites out of your home
The specific termite-controlling option you choose will depend on the severity of your infestation.
Some people prefer to take a DIY approach, but most people find that they want to work with a professional. A professional exterminator can get rid of the pests a lot faster and gives homeowners peace of mind.
Get Rid of Termites for Good
No homeowner ever wants to hear that they’re dealing with a termite infestation. It’s probably one of the worst — and most expensive — pest infestations you can have in your home.
Like it or not, though, those pesky pests can get into your home and cause a lot of damage. It’s important to know the signs of termites so you can take action and minimize the amount of damage they cause.
Do you want to learn more about preventing infestations by termites and other household pests? Check out this article for more helpful tips on keeping your home pest-free.