An anti-Islamic film has sparked international protests and criticism in countries across the world.
Reports say the anti-Islamic video was produced by a US citizen in the state of California.
Earlier this week, to show protest against the video, a mob of demonstrators stormed the United States Consulate in the Libyan city of Benghazi which has killed the US ambassador to the country, Christopher Stevens and three other diplomats, and left other people injured.
According to media reports, demonstrations against the film were first cited in Egypt on Tuesday which reportedly left more than 200 people injured. Islamist protesters attacked the US embassy walls in Cairo and replaced the US flag with an Islamic one.
In Yemen, protesters stormed the US embassy compound. The incident led to one death and injured 15 others.
Reports say other protests have erupted in Sudan, Tunisia, Afghanistan, Lebanon, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Australia and the United Kingdom.
Today, the United Nations human rights chief urged religious and political leaders to do their utmost to restore calm in the wake of an anti-Islam film that has sparked protests around the world.
“The film is malicious and deliberately provocative and portrays a disgracefully distorted image of Muslims. I fully understand why people wish to protest strongly against it, and it is their right to do so peacefully.” – Navi Pillay, UN High Commissioner for Human Rights
However, Ms. Pillay condemns the killings in Benghazi, and other violent and destructive reactions to the film.
Ms. Pillay said the best way to deal with such provocations was to ignore them.
“Deliberate and obnoxious acts of this type should be deprived of the oxygen of publicity.” – Ms. Pillay
In addition, Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon also voiced concern on the “terrible attacks and unrest” of recent days in Libya and elsewhere.
Mr. Ban said the anti-Islam film is a “hateful, disgusting film.”
Mr. Ban condemns the hateful film that appears to have been deliberately designed to sow bigotry and bloodshed.
The United States of America mourned the death of four American personnel in Benghazi who died in a rocket attack on Wednesday.
Reports say Chris Stevens, the U.S. ambassador to Libya was killed along with three others in a rocket attack on the American Consulate in Benghazi. The death of the US personnel has sparked international condemantion.
US Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton said Ambassador Stevens, a 21 year veteran of the Foreign Service, died from injuries he sustained in the attack on US office in Benghazi.
Mr. Stevens was known for speaking eloquently about his passion for service, for diplomacy and for the Libyan people.
As the conflict in Libya unfolded, Chris was one of the first Americans on the ground in Benghazi.
Mr. Stevens risked his own life to lend the Libyan people a helping hand to build the foundation for a new, free nation.
Sean Smith also died in Benghazi. He was a husband and a father of two, who joined the Department ten years ago.
According to Ms. Clinton, Sean was one of the best.
Prior to arriving in Benghazi, he served in Baghdad, Pretoria, Montreal, and most recently The Hague, she noted.
The US condemns the vicious and violent attack that took their lives, which they had committed to helping the Libyan people reach for a better future.
Reports say US Ambassador Christopher Stevens, and three other American diplomats died on Wednesday after an islamist mob in Benghazi Libya gathered to demonstrate against a U.S.-made film. At some point, the demonstration turned violent and shots were fired.
The United States has been a very firm partner with Libya during these past several months.
The National Transitional Council (NTC) declared the full liberation of Libya on 23 October, more than eight months after the start of the popular uprising against the regime of long-time ruler Colonel Muammar al-Qadhafi.
Mr. Qadhafi, who had been on the run as his regime collapsed, was captured by opposition fighters on 20 October and killed.
Libya had been engulfed by fighting since a pro-democracy movement opposed to the regime of Muammar al-Qadhafi emerged in February 2011 following similar protests in Tunisia, Egypt and other countries across North Africa and the Middle East.