Manhunt for Possible Suspects Continues
British authorities have now arrested 11 persons in connection with the Manchester bombing that killed 22 people.
Last week, British media reported eight men remain were in custody for questioning in connection with the suicide bombing.
The Police launched an intensive manhunt and raids properties in Manchester, Wigan and Nuneaton. The effort focused on arresting the potential terror ring that may have assisted Abedi, the suicide bomber in the Manchester arena.
Counter-terror police officers detained a ninth suspect in the Moss Side area of Manchester in the early hours of Friday morning. On Saturday, Greater Manchester Police detained two men, aged 20 and 22, on suspicion of terrorism offenses. An explosive device was used to gain access to the property, to make the arrests.
Terror Attack in Manchester Arena Draws Condemnation
The suicide attack in Manchester Arena left 22 people dead and 60 wounded.
Reports say the suicide bomber died after detonating an improvised explosive device in the crowded pop concert hall, leaving a trail of human casualties, including children.
The horror occurred at the end of a concert by American singer Ariana Grande, whose audience at that time was mostly teens and children.
The attack caused panic and left hundreds of people running for safety. The chaos forced parents to be separated from their children.
When medics arrived at the scene, the carnage was clear. Dead bodies were scattered inside the concert venue and the wounded were calling for help.
The attack is considered the most deadly in Britain, in the past decade.
Accounts of Witnesses
Witnesses at the suicide bombing recalled the horror inside the concert venue. Many speculated that a nail bomb was used, causing fatal shrapnel injuries and killing dozens of people.
Most of the witnesses said a loud bang followed the lights going up after the finale of the show.
Majid Khan, 22, said: “A huge bomb-like bang went off that hugely panicked everyone and we were all trying to flee the arena.”
Khan added, “It was one bang and essentially everyone from the other side of the arena where the bang was heard from suddenly came running towards us as they were trying to exit.”
Oliver Jones, 17, who attended with his 19-year-old sister, said, “The bang echoed around the foyer of the arena and people started to run.”
The World Condemns the Attack
The British government strongly condemned the attack, describing it as barbaric and appalling.
Britain’s prime minister, Theresa May, said: “We are working to establish the full details of what is being treated by the police as an appalling terrorist attack. All our thoughts are with the victims and the families of those who have been affected.”
Similarly, home secretary, Amber Rudd, said, “This was a barbaric attack, deliberately targeting some of the most vulnerable in our society – young people and children out at a pop concert. My thoughts and prayers go out to the families and victims who have been affected.”
The terror attack also drew condemnation from the international community. World leaders including President Donald Trump, German chancellor Angela Merkel, and new French President Emmanuel Macron expressed solidarity and sympathy with the UK in the fight against terrorists.
President Trump has called those behind the Manchester suicide bombing and other similar attacks “evil losers in life.”
The German chancellor, Angela Merkel, on Monday expressed her “sorrow and horror” and called it an attack on young people and freedom.
The French president, Emmanuel Macron, offered the British people “all the compassion and care of France which is at their side in mourning, with a particular thought for the victims and their families.”