IBC Issues Advice on Filing Insurance Claims for Canadians

In the wake of recent twisters in Ottawa, representatives from the country’s insurance providers are instructing residents how to handle filing a claim. The Insurance Bureau of Canada (IBC) states that many home, business and auto policies cover wind and tornado damage, especially when there’s a mandatory evacuation in the area. The IBC said that once it’s to re-enter an area, anyone with damage to their property, including vehicles left behind, should document it and call their provider. This includes taking photographs and making a list of damages.

D.G. Bevan, a Barrie, Ontario-based insurance broker offers this advice, “If possible, assemble proofs of purchase, photos, receipts and warranties,” the group, which represents Canadian insurance companies, stated in a media release. “The area one lives in has a huge impact on the probability of a flood-type loss…Aging urban infrastructure, increasing population density and changing weather patterns all play a major role… protect your car, your family and your financial investment by getting a policy that is as unique as you.”

The IBC is suggesting those affected to keep all receipts related to damage from the storm. It’s just as important to do so for auto insurance expenses you plan to file a claim for.

What to Check on Your Policy

No matter how careful a car owner is, even the most vigilant preparation can’t always protect them from Mother Nature. Whether you’re covered depends on the type of coverage you have. During the tornados that swept across Canada in September, hundreds of thousands were left without power, and many damaged or destroyed vehicles could be seen on the nightly news.

Comprehensive coverage is typically optional unless a lender or leasing company requires it. However, even if it’s not required by law, getting comprehensive coverage keeps more money in the policyholder’s wallet when they need it most. Ask your insurance agent whether comprehensive coverage can cover you in cases of natural disaster, so you don’t have to watch all the money you’ve invested in a car just wash away.

Many people opt for a low deductible so that unforeseen events like broken glass, flood damage and vandalism don’t cost them a lot of money. If a car must be replaced due to flood damage, higher coverage provides the actual cash value (ACV) minus the deductible.

Melissa Thompson
Melissa Thompson writes about a wide range of topics, revealing interesting things we didn't know before. She is a freelance USA Today producer, and a Technorati contributor.