The key to optimal fitness does not depend only on balanced diets and regular workouts. Unless your body gets at least the minimum amount of sleep everyday, you will not be able to get the desired results you want to achieve.
Proper sleep is also very important for maintaining the immune system of your body. As a matter of fact, our body eliminates a lot of harmful bacteria while we are sleeping or resting.
However, today’s generation underestimates this important activity (sleep), because of their hectic schedules. Sleep deprivation can ultimately cause severe harm to your body.
Not many people are aware of the fact that sleeping positions can actually help them in improving the quality of their sleep. If you sleep incorrectly, then you will feel start to feel restless, which will obviously cut down on the total hours of sleep you can get each night.
Additionally, sleeping on the wrong type of mattress can also result in sleep deprivation and back problems. Let’s take a quick look at how your sleeping positions affect the quality of your sleep.
How does your sleeping position affect your sleep quality?
It is very important that you get the best quality sleep, even if you are sleeping for fewer hours than you’d like to initially. To ensure this, you must make it a point to sleep in the best position that suits your body.
Pros and cons of various kinds of sleeping positions –
- Sleeping on the back – This is considered a fairly healthy position, because it helps your body to align the spine in a natural way. If you are resting with your limbs out and facing upwards, you are less likely to suffer from skin acne and wrinkles.
- Sleeping face down – This position is considered to be the most unhealthy for your body, because it causes strain on the natural curvature of your spine, and can lead to back problems. However, many experts recommend this position for those who snore a lot.
- Sleeping sideways – Experts consider this position to be the most optimal, because it tends to retain the position of your spine, while maintaining a neutral curvature. It helps in easing many types of back and neck problems.
- Fetal position – In this position, the person will sleep on the side, with his/her knees facing outwards, and the chin facing downwards. This position is considered to be the most comfortable one, but it can cause severe strain on the back and your neck.
What are the various kinds of mattresses?
As we all know, there are a bazillion kinds of bed pads or mattresses available in the market. Therefore, consumers can get confused while choosing the ones that are truly beneficial for them.
- Innerspring mattresses – These are probably the most common ones that you will find. This type of bedding is supported with metallic springs. The coiled springs provide the essential support to the body.
- Foam mattresses – There are different kinds of foam mattresses, which are designed to provide total comfort for varying needs. The beds with latex foam are quite popular, as they come with more layers of foam. The memory foam mattresses are a little expensive, but are highly recommended by the experts. Such mattresses will mimic the shape of the sleeper to give them maximum support.
- Hybrid – Such bed pads are made with a combination of springs and foam layers, which provide support as well as comfort.
You can visit amerisleep.com to read mattress reviews. If you’re like me, reading reviews will help you in making a smart purchase for your specific needs.