The Daughter-in-Law Rules

“The In-Law Expert” Rescues Frazzled Brides and Wives in 3 Simple Steps … A timely interview and a hot topic!

Outskirts Press is pleased to announce the publication of the new book “The Daughter-in-Law Rules: 101 Surefire Ways to Manage (and Make Friends With) Your Mother-in-Law!,” by award-winning musician, composer and author, Sally Shields

Your mother-in-law is coming! As she is due to arrive in a couple of hours, your hands sweat and your heart begins to palpitate. Will your house be neat enough? Can you possibly live up to her standards? Will anything you do be to her satisfaction? Help!

Sound familiar? Millions of women have strained or even outright hostile relationships with their “MIL” (mother-in-law). A survey of 53 daughter and mother-in-law couples conducted by Deborah Merrill PhD, a sociologist at Clark University on Worcester, Massachusetts, showed the extent of the problem. Only 30 percent of mothers and daughters-in-law reported tight-knit relationships with little or no conflict. The other whopping 70 percent fell into the categories of cordial, obligatory, and even estranged.

Does it have to be that way? Absolutely not!

Sally Shields comes to the rescue with a delightful and witty book on how to deal with the other woman in your husband’s life – his mom.

Sally’s vision is to inspire more harmony among 20 million mothers and daughters-in-law around the world by teaching all brides to learn the art of making friends with their husband’s mother. Creating increased feelings of warmth among in-laws helps foster familial ties, which creates pride and loyalty. The benefits of a caring family go beyond tangible outcomes and serve to strengthen our communities, provide for needs, and increase our sense of well-being.

Sally’s goal is to get a copy of The DIL Rules to every bride by donating to the gifting bags of every major national bridal show, through collaboration on marketing and distribution via corporate sponsorship with 1-800-Flowers. The Daughter-in-Law Rules also raises money for the National Breast Cancer Foundation whose mission is to achieve prevention and a cure for breast cancer in our lifetime.

“Take heed to one of the great spiritual laws of success,” says Sally. “Be a loving, kind, generous, openhearted, sensitive person and the world will reflect that back to you – even in the form of your mother-in-law-and she may just surprise you and turn out to be an ally and a friend!”

Sally Shields is a speaker, radio personality, international media specialist and author of the #1 wedding showers bestseller, The DAUGHTER-IN-LAW Rules. A frequent contributor to various magazines, Shields has been featured in Star Magazine, Obvious, My Day, Girlfriendz, For the Bride and many others. Endorsed by Dr. Laura Schlessinger and Martha Stewart, she has been featured on Fox and Friends and is a repeat guest on the nationally syndicated The Daily Buzz.

This book helps raise money for The National Breast Cancer Foundation. Think Pink!

Availability: Nationwide via telephone For info call (718) 543-5524 or visit

ISBN: 1432718371

Format 5×8 paperback

Outskirts Press, Inc.,

10940 S. Parker Rd 515, Parker, CO 80134


Kam Williams is a popular and top NewsBlaze reviewer, our chief critic. Kam gives his unvarnished opinion on movies, DVDs and books, plus many in-depth and revealing celebrity interviews.

Sadly, Lloyd Kam Williams passed away in 2019, leaving behind a huge body of work focused on America’s black entertainment community. We were as sad to hear of his passing as we were overjoyed to have him as part of our team.