Woman Injured in Devastating Fire in Assam


A woman was injured and properties were destroyed in two separate devasting fire incidents in Guwahati on Saturday night, police said on Sunday.

The first incident took place at Chritianbasti area where the fire broke out in a three story building which was used as a private hostel.

“The fire broke out on the ground floor of the building on Saturday night and several people were trapped inside the building,” a police official said.

Later, local people were rescued, but a woman was severely injured when she jumped from the building.

The injured woman was rushed to the Guwahati Medical College hospital.

Local people helped to get the blaze under control.

Another incident took place at Bhetapara area in the city on Saturday night where several houses and a shop turned to ash caused by the devasting fire.

Reports say the fire seared a gas pipeline of the Assam Gas Company Limited at Singalbam tea estate near Charaideo in the Sivasagar district due to a gas leakage. The gas company was used to supply natural gas to the tea estate.

Hemanta Kumar Nath is a correspondent in Assam, India, who reports on local news in Assam, the north east Indian state.