With the recent death of Iranian blogger Beheshti while in custody of Iranian officials, the United States of America today demanded for a thorough probe of the death of the activist.
Reports say Beheshti was arrested on 30th October on charges of actions against national security on social networks and Facebook.
On Wednesday, reports began to surface that police told his family to pick up his body.
In her remarks today at Washington DC, Department Spokesperson Victoria Nuland says the United States is appalled by reports that Iranian authorities tortured and killed Sattar Beheshti during a prison interrogation.
She notes that Besheshti had been arrested for a crime no greater than expressing his political opinion online.
“We join the international community in demanding the Iranian government investigate this murder, hold accountable those responsible for Beheshti’s arrest, torture, and killing, and immediately cease all reported harassment of Beheshti’s family.” -Ms. Nuland
In addition, the United States also extends condolences to Beheshti’s family in their time of grief, as well as to the families of all Iranians who have been falsely accused, illegally detained, or wrongly killed at the hands of a brutal and hypocritical regime.
Ms. Nuland notes that Sattar Beheshti is just one of thousands of victims of the Iranian government’s campaign of violent repression and efforts to curtail basic freedoms at all costs.
“We will continue to stand with the Iranian people and condemn the abuses against Beheshti and countless others.” -Ms. Nuland