The Alqaeda-proxy in Somalia, Al shabab, on Monday claimed the responsibility for the overnight terror bombings in the Ugandan capital, Kambala.
The group’s spokesman Sheik Ali Mahmoud Raghe told a press conference in Mogadishu later on Monday that his group was behind the twin bomb attacks that rocked Kambala last night which left alt least 74 world cup fans dead.
“Praise be to Allah, our operation went on successfully last night and we are hereby telling, with a loud voice, that we will carry out more other attacks against our enemy wherever they are in the world” Alshabab spokesman said during a teleconference in Mogadishu Monday.
“The governments and the peoples of Uganda and Burundi defied our previous warnings to refrain from what their troops are doing here and they continued the massacre against our people in Mogadishu, so this is first of more revenge attacks against them” the militant spokesman stated.
He said that young Mujahideens have carried out the twin blasts on two sites in Kambala last night, refusing to say what nationalities the young men who carried out the attacks were.
The leaders of Al shabab last week said that they have lost patience and the time of revenge attacks against Uganda and Burundi has arrived.
Earlier on the day Ugandan police said they believe that Al shabab was responsible for the terrorist attacks, but investigations were under way.
This is the first such attack by Al shabab (which is considered as Alqaeda branch in east Africa) carried out abroad. Previously the group was behind suicide and other terror attacks against Somali government officials and AU peacekeepers in Mogadishu.