NewsBlaze search box Daily News header

US Concerned on Guilty Verdict Against Russian Activists in Bolotnaya Trial

By     get stories by email

Free the Bolotnaya activists!

The United States of America today expressed deep concern on the guilty verdict against demonstrators in the Bolotnaya Square protest trial.

In her remarks in Washington DC, Deputy Department Spokesperson Maries Harf reiterated the US serious concerns about the ongoing pressure on civil society in Russia.

She said the US has seen numerous prosecutions of activists, journalists, and opposition politicians since 2012.

med
Former Russian President Dmitry Medvedev in the Washington studio of Russia Today TV. Photo: Wikimedia Commons

She pointed out that the conviction of the eight protestors reaffirms the US serious concerns about due process and rule of law in Russia.

"The United States continues to support the rights of all Russian citizens to exercise their fundamental freedoms, regardless of their political views." - Ms. Harf

8 protestors found guilty

The Moscow court found guilty eight defendants in the Bolotnaya case and the sentences are expected to be announced on February 24.

According to media reports, hundreds of the peaceful supporters and journalists gathered around the Moscow court. They were detained by police. Some of those detained are expected to face fines up to USD 800) for participating in an "unauthorised gathering".

Looking back

On May 6, 2012, thousands of anti-government Russians took to the streets of Moscow to demand fair elections and government accountability. They were arrested during the Bolotnaya Square by the police using excessive and unlawful force. The clamor has made headlines around the world.

Many aired their views that the demonstration was predominantly peaceful. However the Russian authorities described the event as "mass riots", allowing them to file serious charges against the accused.

Amnesty International is calling for the immediate and unconditional release of Artiom Saviolov, Stepan Zimin, Denis Lutskevich, Aleksey Polikhovich, Sergey Krivov and Yaroslav Belousov whom the rights organization considered as prisoners of conscience. The organization demands that all charges against them should be dropped.

Mina Fabulous follows the news, especially what is going on in the US State Department. Mina turns State Department waffle into plain english. Read more stories by Mina Fabulous. Contact Mina through NewsBlaze.

  Please click this get stories by email button to be notified about future stories, and please leave a comment below.

  Please leave a comment here     If it does not display within 10 seconds, please refresh the page

Related World News News

Two vehicles collided in the Digboi Ramnagar area in the upper Assam district early on Friday, killing seven and injuring nine others.
A USAF C-46A Curtiss Commando that crashed in the mountains over India in 1945 has been identified by a researcher who was abducted by militants.
The convicted men abducted and murdered Arup Dutta, a 21 year young man, son of Apu Dutta, a businessman from Jagiroad town in Morigaon district, on July 17, 2011.
Police identified the three men as Anil Mahato (34), Arun Mahato (32) and Tapon Munda (30). All three were previously cadres of AANLA. A pistol and bullets were seized by police.
Witnesses said more than nine were killed but this has not been confirmed yet. The UN staff were being driven in a 3 minute commute from their guest houses to work.
Public response to the event surprised sports organizers and the Assam nation, including Ankur Dutta, General Secretary of Assam Football Association.

 

NewsBlaze Writers Of The Month


Popular Stories This Month

newsletter logo

NewsBlaze
Copyright © 2004-2014 NewsBlaze Pty. Ltd.
Use of this website is subject to our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy  | DMCA Notice               Press Room   |    Visit NewsBlaze Mobile Site