New Leader Announced for Somali National Olympic Committee
Former senior vice president Duran Ahmed Farah has taken over the leadership of the Somali National Olympic committee after its former president Aden Hajji Yeberow was killed in a suicide attack in Mogadishu earlier in the month. Somali NOC press statement revealed here on Tuesday.
Somali NOC secretary General Abdullahi Ahmed Tarabi said in his press statement on Tuesday night that Somali Sports family in particular and Somali people in general had lost two great leaders and presidents in the tragic event at the Somali national theatre on April 4.
The statement said that at this incident we had lost the presidents of Somali Olympic Committee and Somali Football Federation The two leaders had been involved in the field of sports for many years and were responsible for many sports developments projects in the country.
The statement added that after the loss of the great leader and president Somali NOC the executive board had convened a Meeting after the funeral of the president in which discussed issues including the vacant position of the president and after due reference to the Somali NOC constitution the NOC Executive committee had agreed on the following;
1) That the 1st vice president Mr. Duran Farah should be the acting president for the remaining of the election term.
2) That Somali NOC hold its elective general assembly after the completion of this term.
3) That despite the loss of a great leader Somali NOC doubles its efforts in the development of Sport in Somalia.
4) That Somali NOC resists any kind of external pressure and interference.
5) That Somali NOC adheres to its constitution, which is in compliance of the International Olympic Charter, in any situation.
Shafi'i Mohyaddin Abokar is the NewsBlaze Somalia reporter. Contact him through NewsBlaze. Read more stories by Shafi'i Mohyaddin Abokar.
Related Top Stories News