Somali NOC and Diaspora Community Jointly Work on Country's Sports Development
The Somali National Olympic committee has over the weekend held a day-long meeting in UK under the chairmanship of senior NOC vice president during which participants discussed on how to develop sports in the war-devastated country and the role of Somali expatriates across the globe.
According to Somali National Olympic Committee first vice president and head of international relations Duran Ahmed Farah who headed the meeting on behalf of the Somali NOC, the one-day meeting was held in London on Sunday 11th of September. Positive ideas and consultations were exchanged during the meeting which was the biggest ever meeting by Somali NOC and its member federations outside the country.
"Despite so many difficulties we have met in the past, the Somali NOC had achieved more. We want to have Somali sports develop in the near future. We are very grateful to the Somali expatriates for their past assistance and we need them to play a bigger role," the Somali NOC first vice president and head of international relations Duran Ahmed Farah told the meeting over the weekend.
Delegates from some NOC member federations who addressed the meeting also outlined how they think that Somali sports can reach development after more than two decades of major obstacles in the country including civil wars, Islamist ban on sports promotion and instability.
"On behalf of Somali National Olympic committee, I am sending particular thanks to the Somali community associations in Western countries for their commitment to promote and develop Somali sports and culture. They are doing a very positive job and the history will mention such very important initiative, " the NOC senior vice president Duran Ahmed Farah told the meeting.
The high level meeting also attracted some revered Somali sports veterans including former coaches and former national team members who gave very important consultations and ideas.
Finally the meeting adopted some suggestions including:
Participants of the Somali NOC Meeting in London include:
1. Duran Ahmed Farah: Somali NOC senior vice president
2. Mohamed Hajji: Somali basketball federation vice president
3. Shiine Guhaad: coach
4. Bashiir Gurey: coach.
5. Moalim Hajji: coach.
6. Muridi Nor Sein: Somali Sports Press Association vice president
7. Mohamed Musse: Somali NOC Zone 4 representative.
8. Bashir Elmi Mohamed: Somali FA technical representative in Sweden
9. Mohamed Shidane: Somali Sports Association UK Chairman
10. Abdullahi Abshir Ali: coach 1
1. Mohamed Abdullahi Ali: Somali handball federation vice president
12. Nor Maye Osman: Somali handball federation secretary General
13. Rabii Abdirahman Musse: Somali FA technical representative in UK
14. Ahmed Dayib Nor: Somali NOC Sports development coordinator & advisor
15. Hassan Mahmoud Hassan: coach
16. Abdullahi Mohamed Saneey: Somali Athletics federation vice president.
17. Maryan Shirwa: Somali Women's sports association.
18. Abdirashid Islaw Ahmed: Somali FA technical representative in UK
19. Engineer Abdullahi Hajji Ereg: coach.
20. Zakariye Mohamed Baliile: coach.
21. Daa'uud Shire Mohamed: coach
22. Axmed Bile: coach
23. Maxamuud Xasan: Somali Sports Press Association EC Member
24. Abdi Olad: coach
25. Mohamed Shariif: coach Somali week
Related Top Stories News