Actor Morgan Freeman has at least 3 items waiting for you without charge, as retail giant Sears sheds old skin after last year’s November co-op merge with CBS.
10 most purchased Items that weren’t being given away- according to JW Research
1. BOOKS & CDs
2. HEALTH CARE ITEMS (CHAIR MASSAGERS, TREE-SAP FOOT PADS, EAR CANDLES)
3. BIRTHSTONE ANYTHING
4. SMALL APPLIANCES (SEAL A MEALS, FOOD CHOPPERS, PANINI MAKERS)
5. CLOTHES (JACKETS, SHIRTS, SKIRTS, SCARVES)
9. SPORTS EQUIPMENT
10. COSMETICS (IN DESIGNER-NAME BAGS)
For whom we spent, Top 10 seasonal shop choices
1. GIFT CARDS
3. TOOL TOYS (ELECTRIC STAPLE GUNS, DREMELS)
4. DIGITAL CAMERAS
6. JEWELRY (BASICS- NECKLACES, TENNIS & OTHER BRACELETS)
7. PERSONAL SERVICES (MASSAGES, TATOOS, PEDICURES)
8. WIDE SCREEN TVS
10. JOKE GIFTS (CAN OPENER SHAPED LIKE A FISH)
Guy says, “Business at Sears was spotty at the holiday season. Some times inconsistent. Since then things have picked up tremendously.”
CHILDREN (Yes, Kids Shopped Too)
1. SERVICES (BABY SITTING, CAR WASHES, DOMESTIC CLEANINGS, YARD CARE)
2. GAME BOYS
3. PERFUMES & MEN’S COLOGNES
4. MOVIE TICKETS
5. FOODSTUFFS (CANDY, COOKIES, FRUIT)
6. TOYS (TALKING BOOKS)
7. PICTURE FRAMES (BLING)
10. THOMAS TRAIN ACCESSORIES
Not that we’re suddenly turning selfish, solely out to buy our ten items or less. In 2003, 51% of gifters shopped for themselves. The buy-for-me increase is a direct result of Gift Card availability, something a lot of husbands are undoubtedly grateful for, I’m guessing.
Then there’s the, “I do not like to give presents…” folks. One person polled said, “I have started giving “experiences” to my loved ones who expect ‘gifts’. For my nephew’s birthday (he was 3) I adopted a Siberian Tiger from the Columbus Zoo for one year. He got the adoption papers, can visit it anytime he wants and the zoo sent him a stuffed tiger toy and a pair of binoculars.” Our Pollie adds, “I also started a subscription from National Geographic.”
She continues, “Nieces and nephews who expect presents get train trip certificates.”
Her brother and sister-in-law? Parmesan cheese, spaghetti, sausage, bacon, pancake mix, sauce, a calphalon pan, plus a calphalon griddle and a cabin weekend at a State Park.”
Good News, retailers now believe over 66% of gifts are recycles, and nobody seems to mind at all. So if you don’t like one of your 10 Items, or 10 Gifts when your own birthday rolls in, not to worry. Somebody will appreciate what you were given.
Happy 2007 Shopping.